I am a huge fan of creative drinks. Be it beer or gin, add a bit of garnish and a secret ingredient, then you’ve made me a happy girl.
It was during my search for a sangria recipe, that I came upon the simple syrup ingredient. Most people probably already know about simple syrup, but I’m not most people. I’m a little behind with most things and then get super excited once I discover something. Still, I thought I’d share my simple syrup endeavour for those of you who, like me, aren’t aware of this easy sugar syrup for cocktails.
This syrup is used in many cocktails (I use in in my sangria recipe). Instead of struggling to dissolve the sugar in the mix, you can just use this sugar syrup instead.
As the name suggests, it is quite simple to make. You basically dissolve sugar in boiling water, let it chill, perhaps add a flavour if you’d like, and voila, you’ve got your sweet syrup.
- 250ml Sugar (I used brown)
- 125ml Water
- Flavoured extract (optional)
Most of the recipes I found said to use equal parts water and sugar. However, I went with a 2:1 ration, as I like to keep life sweet.
- Bring water to boil on the stove.
- Add sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved, bring down the heat and let the mix simmer. The syrup will slightly thicken – thus making it syrup and not just sugar water.
- After about 10 minutes remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool to room temperature..
- Optional: Add flavoured extract to taste and mix well.
- Pour it into a jar or container of your choice (glass containers that seal well work best). Keep refrigerated.
There you have it, the simple sugar syrup for your homemade cocktails.
Share your homemade simple syrup on Instagram, tag me (@alexplusa), and let’s bond over our sugary taste in food & in life.